Saturday, August 28, 2010

Autumn

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Autumn.

I think it might be my favorite season, followed closely by winter. Today it is 60 degrees in our little town. It's a far cry from the 106 on Tuesday! It is welcomed. I love Autumn. As my pregnancy has been progressing, I have spent more time walking outside to get exercise. Today as we walked I breathed in the crisp air and every inch of my being was overcome with happiness from the hopeful change of season.

Growing up in Indiana, then moving to California... I complained, profusely, of the lack of seasons. I am a "season" girl.

With September closely approaching, and an overwhelming feeling of needing to nest a bit (even though I am only 6 months pregnant), I have found myself spending many hours knitting and canning. My little man (and big man for that matter) love berries.. the middle of summer was spent freezing berries. Then the peaches joined the farms.. I had to do something with peaches. I canned a good 8 jars of cut peaches and then made peach jam. Thinking of us all sitting at the table come December eating fresh homemade peach jam sounded divine.

Canning. Canning is not for the weak, slightly not for the pregnant because it requires a lot of standing and attention. My back was killing me after a days work. But in the end, I was more than giddy to see my jars all lined up and ready for fall and winter.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Today. Today I am making pasta sauce. I am awaiting the finishing mark so I can store them in the freezer while my house is consumed with the aroma of sauce.

Bread Making. My mom made this bread when I was growing up. It is called the Amish Friendship Bread. It takes 10 days to process and then you only use a cup to bake and then share the starter with others. I will make many loaves and freeze them, and hopefully share with my mother in law. I hope my mom finds time to make this bread in her busy schedule. It's a very fond memory of mine growing up. Please let me know if you would like the recipe.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Knitting. Many pictures to come once I have 100% completed all my knits. My recent quests have been a sweater for little man, a vest for little man, a vest for baby boy #2, and hats.

Reading. Today after visiting my local knitting store and convincing myself that I was only in need of buttons (no more yarn until other projects are complete), I stepped into our local bookstore. I was overly joyed to see two new books in the window for little man H. When I arrived home, and he found his way to my bag (the books were supposed to be a surprise), he came to me with the tightest hug around the books and said to me "Look Mommy, look at these books!" The sight of his eyes melted my heart. My good friend Cindy once told me that her dad would say "there was no budget on books" and I agree!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Right now my life feels great. My energy is heightened. I am so in love with my family. I crave time with my extended family. Welcoming many visitors. And preparing our lives for our arrival this December.

Do you have fond Autumn memories to share? Please do! Take time to introduce yourself. I am very excited to have you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment