Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Celebrating the First

We just celebrated my son's first birthday. I was very excited for his birthday.. there were many reasons, but one was because I had made him a quilt. Quilts are one of those things that I now understand why there are such people as "Quilt Makers." It's a deathly task. First finding your quilting squares, then designing, pressing, pinning, lining up, sandwiching... the list goes on and on. I would say that this quilt averaged about 90 hours total. The wonderful thing about this being his first birthday present, is that it brought so many smiles and even tears to my face when making it. I thought of him being rascally with it, cuddling with it, storing it away one day because he is just "too old" for it, and then bringing it back out when he is ready for it again. It was an emotional gift. I was so pleased with my first attempt at quilting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This quilt has many imperfections.. no straight lines.. no lined up squares, but it is full of love. And that makes me happy.

With his birthday, I had to make him a shirt and crown. I make these crowns for other people, and it felt so good to finally be making one of my own.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

These crowns are available in my Etsy store at: Made By Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment