Monday, December 30, 2013

Waldorf Dolls

Christmas has come and gone and the new toys have found their new homes. It's such a great feeling to clear out the living room after such an epic explosion happens, don't you agree? Every year I make my boys something. Last year I made them quilts, this year I made them Waldorf dolls and Ergos. My boys are ages (almost) 3 and 5 1/2. I thought it was the perfect time to make these dolls for them because they would know to be gentle with them. Let's be honest, these dolls take HOURS to make. I also hand made their clothing, so add even more hours to the equation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

They were both elated when they opened the boxes Christmas morning. Hugs happened and names were given. Hudon's doll: Stripey, Nolan's: Elf.

Naturally!

The night before Christmas my husband said "don't be disappointed if the boys don't play with their dolls, you just never know." And I had no expectations. Actually, I expected for them to lay on the floor and then be picked up, by me, and then I would have to find them a new home just like I did with all the other toys. I was completely fine with that. But the opposite has happened. The boys LOVE these dolls. I think a lot of their Love comes from the fact that I made them. They are elated when I make them things and are so sweet about it. But it actually goes a bit further. They actually really love them. They change their clothes at bedtime, they give them random kisses, my wonderful mother bought Nolan a stroller and they stroll them around.. They actually take care of them. Except for the first 10 minutes after opening the doll, Nolan took an orange marker to "her" head. Luckily I have a spot remover that works magic!

Here comes the interesting bit about this topic. Some people actually have a hard time digesting boys and dolls. Call me crazy but I just don't get it. I believe it is important to teach our kids about how to be with babies and how to care for them. The hope is that one day they will be father's of their own and will have to actually take care of a baby. The fact that we distinguish that a doll is a "girls" toy speaks volumes about our culture and our perception what is the woman's role and the man's. I, however, don't see it this way and luckily, my husband doesn't either. My husband has spent hours carrying our children, feeding them, strollering them, etc. I do know that children like to imitate their parents, and I see my boys and their dolls and they are imitating the good men/fathers that we have in this world.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It will be reassuring to me when boys can stop imitating these guys:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And start imitating this guy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's to our future co-sleepers!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment