My son is starting 1st grade this week and I am finding a way to make myself (and hopefully your life) a little easier. I find being proactive on Sunday's will help make the week an easier transition. Below find our recipe ideas for the week. Check back to see what else we add for the week. Have your children join in on the making!!
Here's our menu for the school week! Snacks and Lunches.
First things first! Gather all your ingredients so you know you have everything you need.
**Note, we start school on Wednesday, therefore this will be a short week of prep.**
1. Quinoa Breakfast Bars via Pinterest. We finished these today and they are delicious. I would cook them longer than suggested, but that's because we are at higher altitude.
2. Rose Room Rolls: Found in The Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book. with almond butter and honey.My youngest son and I will be making these on Thursday. Stay tuned.
3. Fruit Salad with granola. Granola recipe found in The Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book. Nothing is quite as easy as making homemade granola. We didn't have any apples, so we just omitted them.
- Recipe: 2T yeast, 3 cups water, 2T honey, 3T butter, 8 cups of flour (mix of white and whole wheat)
- stir together the honey, warm water, and yeast. Wait for it to get foamy.
- Add the oi and flour and stir until it forms a dough.
- Knead the dough and form dough into rolls
- Let rise for 30 minutes
- Bake at 325 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Gluten Free rolled oats
- 2 applies, peeled and grated
- 2T maple syrup
- 2T butter
- 1/4 cup crushed whole almonds
- shredded coconut
- raisins (optional)
- popping corn
- nutritional yeast
1. Sliced veggies (carrots, broccoli, zuchini) and homemade hummus. I find it's always a good idea to precut your veggies for the week and then submerge them in water so they don't go back or wilt. A few weeks ago I made homemade hummus. I soaked the beans overnight and then cooked them the next day. I made a ton and then froze 8 bags worth. It was a cinch to grab a bag out of the freezer and make hummus today.
- Homemade Hummus Recipe
- soak garbanzo beans overnight
- 1 3/4 cups beans
- 1/2 T lemon juice
- 1T taihini
- 2T olive oi
- 1t ground cumin, 1t ground coliander
- 2 garlic cloves
- reserved liquid
2. Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wrap:
I will be making this for Friday's lunch!
- Recipe adapted for my eater:
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 15-ounce can white beans or 2 cups of soaked white beans, rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- sliced cucumber
- 4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat wraps, or tortillas
3. Egg salad sandwich
- boil 6 eggs, add enough vegannaise to get desired consistency. sprinkle dill.
- pinto beans
- shredded chicken from night before dinner
- corn tortilla
- sour cream