Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"Mommy? Will you always be my best friend?"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Hudson age 2 months)

Recently I've been telling Hudson a story every night. Not one from a book, but an impromptu-make-you-laugh story. It's funny when you let your mind go, where it will take you. There have been little boys climbing on clouds, fishing in coconut water, and sometimes (because I'm a little boy at heart at times) the stories involve a little bit of poop. Yea! That's right, potty humor! Wheee! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tonight, as I finished my latest story, and Hudson was giggling so hard he said "mama, I almost peed my pants that was so funny." He turned to me and asked "Mommy? Will you always be my best friend?"
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I told him "yes! I will always be your best friend, but more importantly, I'll always be your mommy." 
I then asked him why I was his best friend. (you know, just curious)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
He said "Cause you bike all day with me, then play ball all day and you never make me go inside, only when I have to poop and I get hungry!" 

It's good to have such high standards for a best friend I tell ya. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
He went on, he thanked me for painting with him and for folding his laundry. He thanked me for having daddy to be his daddy and then he thanked for me being a great friend. 

As my heart grew fuller and fuller I thought to myself what a wonderful life I lead. I don't want to brag or boast, but some days my heart is bursting at the seams with my love for these two little beings. I do spend my days playing hard. I am a kid at heart and I love spending hours upon hours biking, playing tennis, volleyball, soccer....on and on and on. I love painting, I love knitting with him, I seriously love it all. I love embracing his childhood and entering into it with such enthusiasm. 

I know that one day I will take the best friend back seat, but for now. I am pretty stoked to have the title. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
He also wanted me to know that his daddy is also his best friend, so don't tell him that he told me I was his best friend. He doesn't want to hurt daddy's feelings.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment