Sunday, June 2, 2013

Overcoming fears

 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This year I told myself I would overcome some fears. I would also head down a more spiritual path and do a better job at working on my inner self. With those "resolutions" I needed to tackle my fear of hiking.

There are two things that I really fear. One is a big boulder falling on my car while we are driving and being eaten by either a cougar, mountain lion or bear... really.. any animal. I know the odds of either one of these happening is pretty low, I still have anxiety around them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But this is the year! Today my family and I headed out for a hike. A mere 20 minutes up the mountains and we found ourselves in the most beautiful place. Surrounded by trees, wildflowers, birds, mountains and views to your hearts delight. This was not an easy hike for a 5 year old, but his tenacious self kept those feet moving one in front of the other.
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My thoughts on hiking:
What a wonderful gift we can give our children. The outdoors welcomes such patience and beauty. We heard a vast array of birds chirping on our hike. My older son was able to decipher which bird calls came from each bird. We took our time. The busy world was left behind. We stopped often to take in the view, to look at butterflies, to see each wildflower growing. To look in amazement as we saw three snow covered mountains at the top of the bluff.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's moments like these that I look at my life. Free of so many distractions, that I can fully breathe and take in what this wonderfully beautiful world has to offer us. My children witness this beauty. They feel the warmth of our sun on their skin, the breeze of our skies. We engage with them in such an intimate way through things of such simplicity but with such grandeur.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is why, I challenge my fears and anxiety and I step onto the path. That first step my heart races. I worry about all the consequences of taking that first step in. I breathe. I see my family and their delighted hearts to be in nature. To explore a place that neither one of us knows. I take that step. And for that, I am forever grateful for overcoming my fears.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our journey:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We all ended our day peacefully
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment