Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Outdoor Fall Craft

My kids don't watch television, watch videos, or play video games (that's a post in itself). I find myself searching for projects that we can do together. I am excited that Nolan is getting to an age where he can start to participate in most of our adventures and our crafting.

Our weather is shifting but that doesn't mean that my boy's energy levels are shifting. I am fully embracing our weather changes and layering them up in order to get outside.

Last week we took a nature walk by our house. We walked a good amount of time and brought a "treasures bag" with us. The leaves are in their peak and we were on a hunt to collect them.

The boys starting out on the adventure.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've seem to have lost a child.. wait.. he's peaking there!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I believe we made it to our collecting destination. The boys were looking for leaves of all colors and shapes, acorns, walnuts, sticks, and pine cones.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After our collecting we played at the park and then headed home. Three hours of walking, searching, collecting and playing tired out the babe and he was off to nap.

I pulled out my handy (and very useful) Nature's Playground book and found the mobile craft.

We gathered our treasures, found some scissors, twine, and a darning needle. We then started cutting the twine (my 4 year old's favorite activity) and placing the needles through the leaves and treasures.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ta Da. Our nature mobile. We decided to place it on our tree in the front yard. It's very exciting for all of us to see it when we come home or walk outside.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

On a side note, I love decorations that blend into nature. It's a mobile that most people probably don't even notice when they walk by, but we know it's there and it's very special to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment